MIRAGLO ATTENDS THE 69TH WORLD HEALTH ASSEMBLY
The Miraglo Foundation’s Vision is to “heal people and transform lives through education, health and research”. Together with you, we are truly making a difference and saving lives!
Now, we have taken another exciting step in making a difference through our attendance and participation in the 69th World Health Assembly (WHA) in Geneva. As a member of the Global Health Council, the Miraglo Foundation was honored to send several representatives, including Executive Director Rauni Prittinen King, to this exciting and profoundly important gathering. Every year in May, leaders and policymakers convene for the WHA, which brings together more than 3,500 delegates from all 194 World Health Organization (WHO) Member States. The assembly discusses the world’s most complex health issues and then agrees upon formal policies and strategies.
During the World Health Assembly, we partook in discussions on a range of issues, including noncommunicable diseases, diabetes, obesity and Women`s, Children`s, and Adolescent`s Health. Our delegates were also able to meet and build relationships with leaders in medicine who share in our passion and efforts. One such opportunity was meeting Dr. Zhang Qi, the head of the Traditional and Complementary Medicine Unit within WHO. We discussed the Integrative Medicine movement in the USA and abroad, and the potential of collaborating on future efforts.
As a Global Health Council member, we also called for the WHO to conduct dedicated research on the efficacy of combining conventional Western medicine with alternative treatments. In doing so, the effectiveness and importance of the integrative model will be further brought to light and implemented into global healthcare frameworks. Such progress allows us to continue with our mission of providing healthcare and education to the underserved around the world.
Again, we could not have taken this exciting step to the next level without you! With your support, we continue to dedicate ourselves to helping people to heal and transform their lives.
Special Issue on Biofield Science
The Biofield Science initiative, co-sponsored by MIRAGLO FOUNDATION, and the resulting Special Issue on Biofield Science by Global Advances in Health and Medicine, are recognized in Huffington Post, December 24, 2015.
- Coming of the Light: The 2015 Integrator Top 10 for Policy and Action in Integrative Health and Medicine by John Weeks Publisher and Editor, 'Integrator Blog News & Reports'. Click here to read the full article!
MIRAGLO FOUNDATION WAS A SPONSOR OF THE BIOFIELD CONFERENCE, IN SEPTEMBER 2014, AND THE CONFERENCE VIDEOS, IN NOVEMBER 2015
Groundbreaking Biofield Science & Healing Conference Covered by Nov
17th Special Issue of Global Advances in Health and Medicine.
Leading scientists in major U.S. universities collaborate with
clinicians to publish cutting-edge scientific thinking in healing with
new perspectives on the science of healing – bringing focus to
emerging field of energy and “biofield” medicine.
Global Healing Traditions such as Traditional Chinese Medicine and
Ayurveda acknowledge a human vital force, which is called Chi or
Prana. But what exactly is this vital force? Do energy healing
therapies like Healing Touch and Reiki really work? Can healing
intention improve health outcomes? What is the scientific evidence for
these practices, and can our present scientific and medical models be
expanded to account for these healing approaches?
These questions and more are explored in a special issue, “Biofield
Science and Healing”, published by the peer-review scientific journal,
Global Advances in Health and Medicine. This Special Issue, set to
publish on November 17, 2015, is the outcome of a conference on
Biofield Science and Healing, held in September 2014 in La Jolla,
California, sponsored by Samueli Institute, Miraglo Foundation, Chopra
Foundation and Institute of Noetic Sciences, all not for profit
leading organizations in integrative health, healing and medicine.
The twelve articles in this Biofield Science and Healing issue discuss
different aspects of the theoretical and scientific basis for
“biofield science,” the emerging area of research that studies how
energy and information help guide our health. In these papers,
researchers from top universities, healthcare providers, and healers
discuss the science behind biofield healing practices and offer
perspectives from physics, psychoneuroimmunology, technology, clinical
research, and medicine.
“We need to study the science of healing because it makes a
difference,” said Dr. Mimi Guarneri, President of the Academy of
Integrative Health and Medicine. “It can help us provide better
quality care for our patients. Patients are demanding that we learn
more and do more than just treat symptoms. We are now learning that
energy or biofield medicine may be the medicine of the future.”
“This Special Issue is groundbreaking not only because it reflects
cutting-edge scientific thinking in healing among many different
scientists at major universities,” said Dr. Shamini Jain, Founding
Director of the Consciousness and Healing Initiative (CHI), Assistant
Professor at UC San Diego, and a chief organizer of the conference.
“It also reflects the importance and the willingness of scientists to
meet side-by-side with healers and healthcare practitioners, to learn
more about how healing works and translate that to healthcare
“Typically, most of the research in biofield science is done ‘in the
closet’,” said Dr. Richard Hammerschlag, Research Director of the
Consciousness and Healing Initiative and Dean Emeritus of Research at
the Oregon College of Oriental Medicine. “University researchers are
often hesitant to discuss their interests and research in this area
because it is not considered ‘mainstream’. Continued support from
major organizations to foster rigorous research and discussion in
biofield science will bring about major scientific and medical
advances. It’s a very exciting time for expanding our thinking and
approach to better understand healing practices.”
The Special Issue, published by Global Advances in Health and
Medicine, released November 17th and can be accessed here
Miraglo Foundation 2016 End of the year letter/report
It has been truly a miraculous year for Miraglo Foundation, locally and globally. Our Vision of “healing people and transforming lives through education, health and research” has taken us to the next level: Miraglo Foundation is now a member of the Global Health Council. As a member of the GHC, we were invited to attend as delegates the World Health Organization’s World Health Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland. We were able to meet with Dr. Zhang Qi, the head of the Traditional and Complementary Medicine Unit within WHO, which is responsible for implementing Traditional Medicine strategies globally by 2030. Dr. Qi was very eager to hear about the Integrative Medicine movement in the USA and abroad, and he looks forward to future collaborations.
The Miraglo Foundation’s goal is to promote love, dignity and healing to those in need around the world. Thanks to your generous gifts, we have been able to assist underserved communities nationally and internationally. Our international board of directors oversees each and every donation, gift and expense. Your generous gifts have enabled us to fulfill our vision and mission of delivering support to those in need in under-served communities and provide integrative medicine education locally, nationally and internationally.
Pacific Pearl La Jolla or “The Pearl” has become a hub of Integrative Health and Healing. The Pearl is now the home to Miraglo Foundation, Guarneri Integrative Health Inc., Academy of Integrative Health & Medicine or AIHM, Consciousness Healing Initiative or CHI and the Taylor Center for Integrative Medicine Education and Research. Our first Live Streaming educational event, EpigeneticsRX was broadcasted from the Studio in September. Our goal in 2017 is to bring continuing education to health care providers to improve the integrative care delivery model. Taylor Center for Integrative Medicine Education and Research is now hosting various meetings and educational programs for healthcare providers and community.
Miraglo Foundation Funded the following Local and National Projects in 2016:
- Academy of Integrative Health & Medicine (AIHM) Development
- AIHM Inter-Professional Fellowship Program Development
- Scholarships for the AIHM Inter-Professional Fellowship Program
- AIHM Annual Conference with UCSD: People, Planned, Purpose in October 2016, in San Diego, CA hosted and educated over 1000 health care practitioners from 23 countries
- AIHM International Integrative Medicine Conference in June in Stuttgart, Germany, co-sponsored by European partners, over 600 health care practitioners attended from 47 countries
- AIHM – Integrative Healthcare Policy Consortium (IHPC) Advocacy in Integrative Health and Medicine
- Visionary dinner for AIHM Award recipients, the Donors and the Board of Directors
- AIHM Medical Student’s reception
- AIHM Membership fund raising with Feeding San Diego program,sponsoring one inner city San Diego School “take home food bags on Fridays”.
- Monarch School, San Diego, CA, a public K-12 school for students who are homeless or impacted by homelessness. Monarch School is committed to helping students prepare for a successful future and life.
- Welcome Home Ministries/FAIR Dorm Project, at Las Colinas Women Detention Center in San Diego is dedicated to preparing and supporting women who are released from confinement. The recidivism rate for women participating in the FAIR dorm program is 6% versus 68% for women who lack this kind of necessary education and support.
- Opio Haku Mo’olelo, a program in the Hawaii juvenile justice system to empower youth using creative writing, art and music as positive tools, helping youth grasp individual responsibility, integrity and to move forward successfully in life after a brief incarceration.
- Healing Beyond Borders (Healing Touch International) Healing Touch education and research.
- Big Animals for Little Kids, an organization bringing joy into the lives of children by visiting them in hospitals, homeless shelters and foster care facilities and wearing their “Big Animals” costumes.
- Light Bridge Hospice to provide Integrative Therapies for people with life threatening disease.
- La Jolla Community Center Health Fair
- Las Patronas/San Diego Jewel Ball 2016 Community fundraising publication.
- Consciousness Healing Initiative (CHI) Summit as an AIHM post conference workshop, Scientific Research Meeting, Sponsor organizations meetings, Space for an office /lab.
- Institute for a Sustainable Future is focusing on individual and Planetary Health by attending the following educational forums: Ecology of Care Congress in Denmark and Cambridge Sustainable Healthcare Symposium in UK.
- Membership to Global Health Council
- Attended the WHO in Geneva, Switzerland in May, delegation to the World Health Assembly
- To Give a Gift of Sight: Funding provided to a San Diego based eye surgeon who travels to under-served countries (Mexico, Caribbean and Fiji) to provide eye surgery for those in need.
- Sudanese Children Heart Society: Children with Rheumatic Heart Disease Screening and Treatment Program in Sudan.
- Friends of Maiti Nepal, Nepal, is a USA based organization focusing on supporting Maiti Nepal (Mother’s Home) in Kathmandu, Nepal. Maiti Nepal rescues young children --mostly girls that have been victims of human trafficking. Our funds have been able to provide education and rehabilitation as well as healthcare, including hospice care for the women and children infected with AIDS.
- SAMMM Project in Southern India is a micro-loan project empowering women to learn to hand-make shirts, prayer items and tote bags to become the bread winner for their families. Miraglo Foundation ordered 1000 bags for the AIHM conference attendees that were well appreciated by the recipients.
- Support for pre-school teacher in Southern India to provide care and education to the children of very low income homes, enabling the parents to work.
- Sri Narayani Hospital and Research Centre, Southern, India. Thanks to our donors, Miraglo has been able to support many of their ongoing needs. The hospital expansion is under way to include a cardiac catheterization laboratory, open heart Surgery Theater. Currently SNHRC Emergency Department admits 5-6 cardiac victims per day that could be saved if the proper interventions, such as stenting, angioplasty and open heart surgery was available. This project is a Miraglo Foundation priority for 2017.
Miraglo Foundation Funded the following International Projects in 2016:
Miraglo Foundation would like to thank all the individuals that have given generously to support our mission and vision. No gift is too small to make the difference to those that are in need. Together we can create miracles.
We would like to give a special thank you and recognition to the following organizations that have supported our vision:
Taylor Advised Endowment Fund for Integrative and Holistic
Medicine Education and Research
Loram Maintenance of Way, Inc.
Simms- Mann Family Foundation for funding scholarships for the AIHM Fellowship program
Please join us in this work to make the world a better place, especially for those that have the least. Our International 2017 goal is to build a comprehensive specialty care center at Sri Narayani Hospital and Research Centre. Our fundraising goal for Cardiac Center is $800,000. Please help to save these lives!
Locally we will continue to fund service programs that support education and health for under-served communities as well as research and education in Integrative Health and Medicine. Please join us and together we can help to change and save lives. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions.
Blessings for the Holidays and the New Year. May 2017 be filled with Peace, Love and Good Health.
Rauni Prittinen King RN, MIH
President and Executive Director
Mimi Guarneri MD, FACC
Treasurer, Board Director
Miraglo Foundation, P.O. Box 1270, La Jolla, CA 92038