On behalf of the Board of Directors of Miraglo Foundation at Pacific Pearl La Jolla, California, we wish to extend our gratitude for your continuing support. Miraglo is dedicated to the advancement of Integrative and Holistic Medicine education and serving underserved communities locally and globally.
2020 has truly been an unusual year. Coronavirus has exposed health disparities, increased unemployment, and food scarcity, and created unprecedented challenges to the existing healthcare system. The current healthcare system resembles more of a war zone than a place of health and healing. As many of you know, our current healthcare system is barely able to handle our patient’s physical needs; their mental, emotional, and spiritual needs are often not addressed. More and more people are looking for care that is truly healing. Unfortunately, medical school only prepares clinicians for acute and disease care. Creating health and preventing disease requires a new model of education that embraces the power and wisdom of all global healing traditions; this is Integrative Health and Medicine. The Miraglo Foundation vision of “healing people and transforming lives through education, health and research” has enabled us to promote integrative health and medicine locally and globally and allowed us to provide healthcare and education to underserved communities.
Pacific Pearl La Jolla or “The Pearl” has become a hub of integrative health, healing, and education. The Pearl is the home to Miraglo Foundation, Guarneri Integrative Health Inc. (GIH), and the Taylor Center for Integrative Medicine Education and Research. The “Pearl” has become an educational and training hub for students; medical students, physician assistants, and doctors completing their Fellowship education. As many of you know, two of our Naturopathic Doctors (NDs) are graduates of our residency training program in Naturopathic Medicine with Bastyr University.
In November 2017, Miraglo Foundation co-sponsored a summit (with UCSD and WHO) with the Pontifical Academy of Science on Climate Change and Health. All of the presentations were edited into a textbook, which is now available as an online e-book, Health of People, Health of Planet, Our Responsibility. Dr. Guarneri contributed one of the chapters. You can get a free digital download of this book by going to our website: www.miraglofoundation.org
Thanks to your generous gifts, we have been able to transform many lives in San Diego, nationally, and internationally.
Miraglo Foundation Funded the following Local and National Projects in 2020:
- Thanks to an educational grant from the Taylor Family Foundation, Dr. Mimi Guarneri’s healthy lifestyle program “Live Better Now with Mimi Guarneri MD” a 2- year PBS fundraising special, continues to air around the country until the end of this year. We have received positive feedback from people who have written and called to say it has transformed their lives.
- AIHM Annual Conference: The Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine (AIHM) annual conference was virtual this past October, due to COVID-19. Thanks to our supporters, Taylor Family Foundation and Loram Holdings Inc., we were able to open an on-line interactive educational platform for national and international healthcare professionals. Over 1000 participants joined in from 38 different countries. Imagine the lives that will be touched by the training of over 1000 clinicians and nurses.
- Dr. Mimi Guarneri’s work and Guarneri Integrative Health Inc. (GIH): Education and training in Integrative Health and Medicine.
- Pacific Pearl Naturopathic Doctor Resident Training: Guarneri Integrative Health Inc. Dr. Pedi Mirdamadi from Canada was the most recent graduate and was hired to work at GIH in October.
- La Jolla Community Center: Healthy Living Fair.
- Healing Beyond Borders: Educational grants for Healing Touch, a biofield training.
- Natural Doctors International (NDI): Women empowerment and health program in Nicaragua.
- iSight Mission: Eye surgery in developing countries.
- Tariq Khamisa Foundation: Teaching children conflict resolution and anti-bullying.
- Monarch School: San Diego, CA, a public K-12 school for homeless children.
- Community Resource Center (CRC): Encinitas, CA for domestic violence, education, crisis intervention skills and outreach to create paths to safety, stability and self-sufficiency.
- Solutions for Change University: Vista, CA educational program assisting children from low-income or homeless families.
- Center for Community Solutions: San Diego, CA, health education for needy families.
- Light Bridge Hospice: To provide Integrative therapies for people with life-threatening disease.
- IASIS MCN technologies: Training for Neurofeedback, which have been found to be helpful with various health conditions such as PTSD, anxiety, depression, autism etc.
Miraglo Foundation Funded the following International Projects:
- Sri Narayani Hospital and Research Centre: Southern, India. Critical care unit ventilators.
- Sri Narayani College of Nursing: Significant funding for scholarships to Sri Narayani College of Nursing, in rural India. These young women are now needed more than ever to take care of the sick and provide a livelihood for their families.
- Green Shakti Narayani Siddar: Which feed 5000-7000 people per day.
- SAMMM Project in Southern India: A micro–loan empowerment program for women.
- Pre-School Teacher Support in Southern India: To provide education to low-income children.
- Friends of Maiti Nepal: Nepal, a USA based organization focusing on supporting Maiti Nepal (Mother’s Home) in Kathmandu, Nepal. Maiti Nepal, provides education and rehabilitation as well as healthcare for women and children who are victims of human trafficking.
Miraglo Foundation would like to thank all the individuals that have supported our vision, Healing People and Transforming Lives, through Education, Healthcare, and Research.
A special thank you to the following organizations who made specific projects possible:
Taylor Family Foundation
Loram Holdings Inc./ Loram Maintenance of Way, Inc.
Ace Parking Management, Inc.
Pritzker Pucker Family Foundation
The Rob and Melani Walton Foundation
Vanier Family Foundation
We have bold ambitions for 2021; including updating and translating our online Integrative Health and Medicine education into Spanish, building an International Integrative Health and Medicine community and enhancing our residency and clinician training programs. With your help we will achieve these goals while we continue to support our educational and healthcare service programs locally and globally.
Many Blessing for a New Year filled with Health, Peace and Prosperity!
Rauni Prittinen King MIH, RN Mimi Guarneri MD, FACC, ABOIM
President and Executive Director Treasurer